Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sweet Berry Smoothie Recipe

Everyone has heard of the newest health sensation "shakeology" which encourages you to cleanse your body with blended smoothies to replace entire meals. As a health nut myself, I try to include smoothies almost daily into my diet, but only as a snack and not to replace a meal. A few people I know are die-hard smoothie and shake lovers and blend up veggies, fruit and anything else that is in their kitchen that they can throw into the blender. Personally, I like to stick to traditional fruit smoothies and they are delicious! I prefer to use frozen fruit because it chills the drink while giving it a icy texture without watering it down with ice cubes.


Here is a recipe for the Sweet Berry Smoothie.


1 banana
1/2 cup of mixed frozen berries including strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt
1 tbsp of honey
1/4 cup of skim milk

Blend all the ingredients in the blender until smooth and add the milk slowly until you get your desired thickness. I purchase the frozen mixed berries in a bag from the grocery store and you can substitute them with berries of your preference. Using raspberries and blackberries in smoothies cause pectin that some people do not enjoy, but I found that after awhile I became more accustomed to the pulp-like texture.

What ingredients do you like in your smoothies?

1 comment: